Paying money to buy store-bought cleaning products for keeping your home spick and span is an utter waste. Several long-term scientific studies have found that the toxic chemicals in commercially available cleaners linger in your household and can put you and your loved ones at risk of several illnesses.
Chronic exposure to chemicals can cause irritation to the eyes and respiratory tract. They can also mess with normal hormonal activity and increases the risk of cancer, ADHD, and defects of the nervous system. It’s best to go for natural and non-toxic products and here are 6 homemade cleaning preparations you can use.
1. All-Purpose Cleaner
Antibacterial cleaners available in the market have been linked to the creation of drug-resistant superbugs. Moreover, they are expensive too. Here’s a natural and safe homemade cleaner you can use to remove stains, molds and disinfect your floors, stovetops, faucets and much more.
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- A clean spray can
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and pour the final mixture into the spray can using a funnel to avoid wastage. Spray all the areas wherever you find nasty and stubborn messes like countertops, tiles, floor, and corners.
Vinegar has the ability to remove grease and bad odor. Tea tree oil has a strong antimicrobial action and fragrance. Baking soda reacts with vinegar to break down dirt and oil particles thereby making them easy to wipe off.
2. Toilet Bowl Cleaner
This recipe of toilet bowl cleaner acts on the toughest of stains without exposing you to toxic fumes. It also uses essential oils like tea tree oil to kill harmful germs in the bowl and leave the toilet feeling fresh.
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon tea tree essential oil
- In a spray bottle, combine vinegar and essential oil in a small spray bottle. Spray it inside the toilet bowl, seat and lid. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Sprinkle baking soda on the areas you sprayed. After 5 minutes, start scrubbing with an abrasive toilet brush. Flush it and you will see the toilet bowl looking sparkly clean.
3. Laundry Detergent Liquid
This recipe uses the cleansing action of borax, washing soda and Castille soap to get rid of stains from clothes. Tea tree essential oil acts a preservative by preventing the growth of microbes both in the detergent and clothes.
- 1 cup of borax
- 1 cup of washing soda
- 1 cup of castile soap
- 10-15 drops essential oil optional
- 17 cups of water
- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the borax and washing soda. Keep stirring until the powders completely dissolve.
- In a large-sized bucket, combine the remaining 11 cups of water with the Castille soap and essential oil.
- Now blend the hot Borax mixture into the bucket and transfer the final mix into a glass storage container.
You can use 1/2 cup of this detergent for a full load of laundry while washing. If you want to remove stains specifically, apply the mixture directly on them and before starting the washing cycle.
4. Dishwash Liquid
Castille soap and oil are pure and chemical-free alternatives for the toxic liquid you are using to do the dishes. Being derived from olive oil, Castille soap is gentle on your skin. Here’s how you can make your very own dishwashing liquid at home.
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup Castile bar soap, grated
- 1 tablespoon washing soda
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap
- 10-30 drops essential oils
- Add grated castile soap to boiling water and stir until dissolved.
- Add washing soda and liquid castile soap and keep stirring.
- Let the mixture cool, then add the essential oils.
- Transfer to a soap dispenser and use it while doing the dishes.
5. Glass And Mirror Cleaner
Mirrors and window panes look best when they are without spots and streaks. Here’s a simple recipe to make a non-toxic glass cleaner.
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- ¼ cup of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 2 cups of water
- 10 drops of essential oil of your choice
Combine everything in a clean spray bottle and shake it well for 2 minutes. Spray the mixture onto mirrors, glass surfaces, and window panes and wipe it off with a cloth to reveal spotless cleanliness.
6. Air Freshener
Now when all the surfaces in your home are squeaky clean, it would be revolting if your house had a lingering unpleasant odor.